Re: Fw: Does flex support UTF-8

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Fw: Does flex support UTF-8
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 18:38:28 +0200

At 16:48 -0600 2004/03/29, Chuck Carmack wrote:

>Hi Martin:
>
>We'd like to create a parser to parse SQL-like statements.  For example,
>
>SELECT a FROM b WHERE c = d
>
>where a,b,c, and d can be in unicode.  Our idea was to allow utf-8 for
>those, but ucs-2 or utf-16 would be ok.

This has been discussed before in this list:

In the days Unicode would fit into 16 bits, somebody made a 16-bit patch of
Flex. Perhaps the following address till works:
  Unicode Flex: ftp://ftp.lauton.com/pub/flex-2.5.4-unicode-patch.tar.gz

But this is not UTF-16. And the 16-bit tables becomes very large, even
impossibly large if one should admit the Unicode code points range
U+0000...10FFFF. Therefore, I suggested a UTF-8, implementation, recall, as
UTF-16 does not seem to gain anything over UTF-8. But here has been no
progress report on this list since that occasion.

Another alternative would be to fit Unicode into at least 24-bit (in effect
32-bit) words, but the one has to get into the question of table
compression techniques.

  Hans Aberg