Fw: Does flex support UTF-8

From: Chuck Carmack
Subject: Fw: Does flex support UTF-8
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 10:54:49 -0600

Thanks for the help, and Martin too.  This should get us started.

Chuck

----- Forwarded by Chuck Carmack/Rochester/IBM on 03/30/2004 10:41 AM -----
"W. L. Estes" <address@hidden>

03/30/2004 08:22 AM

Chuck Carmack/Rochester/address@hidden
cc
address@hidden
Subject
Re: Fw: Does flex support UTF-8

On Monday, 29 March 2004,16:48 -0600, Chuck Carmack wrote:

> We'd like to create a parser to parse SQL-like statements.  For example,
>
> SELECT a FROM b WHERE c = d
>
> where a,b,c, and d can be in unicode.  Our idea was to allow utf-8 for
> those, but ucs-2 or utf-16 would be ok.

Flex is not currently able to help you do this. But flex won't get in
your way. You'd just have to describe the unicode stuff as regular
expressions involving bytes--which is not pretty and in the long-term
probably not what you want.

There's been sustained interest in unicode and friends but there are
some technical issues with any potential flex implementation.  It's on
the list of issues to be addressed, but it's not the highest
priority. And at this time, I don't know what form the addressing of
this issue will take.