help-gengetopt

Re: [help-gengetopt] Feature suggestion and patch

From: Lorenzo Bettini
Subject: Re: [help-gengetopt] Feature suggestion and patch
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 11:23:52 +0100

Hi Phillip

I'm terribly sorry for the delay of my answer (it was a very busy week).

>   package "aegisvm"
>   version "0.0.1"
>   purpose "Wrapper of libaegisvm, the Aegis Virtual Machine"
>   option ......
>   option ......
> + argument "MAIN-CLASS" "The class in which the main method is found"
> + rest     "ARGUMENTS"  "Arguments passed to the main method"
>
> Basically, the .ggo file may contain any number of "argument" clause,
> listed in the order of appearance of the command line arguments,
> and at most one "rest" clause, which specifies an optional list of
> trailing arguments.

I see the point, and I like your solution.  I'll try to include your
changes in the next release of gengetopt (I received many of patched
lately :-)

> It would also be nice for gengetopt to generate code that checks if
> the required number of arguments are supplied by the user.  In my
> example, aegisvm should complain if the user does not supply any
> argument.  In general, the user should supply a number of argument
> at least as large as the number of "argument" clauses in the .ggo
> file, and in the case when no "rest" clause is supplied, the two
> numbers should match exactly.

yes, checks should be definetely performed in this situations

thanks again for the patch.

see you soon
        Lorenzo

|  Lorenzo Bettini          ICQ# lbetto, 16080134     |
|  PhD student in Computer Science                    |
|  Dip. Sistemi e Informatica, Univ. di Firenze       |
|  Tel +39 055 4796741, Fax +39 055 4796730           |
|  Florence - Italy         (Linux User # 158233)     |
|  Home Page        : http://w3.newnet.it/bettini     |
|  Mail             : address@hidden            |
|  http://music.dsi.unifi.it         XKlaim language  |
|  http://w3.newnet.it/bettini/purple     Cover Band  |