help-global

Re: Tag Stack in Vim?

From: Shigio Yamaguchi
Subject: Re: Tag Stack in Vim?
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 01:32:15 +0900

Hi,
> I really prefer Global (since ectags can't do important stuff like
> finding references to methods in my Java code) and I've been using vim
> for too long to change now.  I'll be happy to take a crack at putting
> the support in, but I don't know where to start.

There are some way to do it:

1) Use grepprg variable.

   But in this method, you cannot use tag stack.
   See '6. Vim using global' <http://www.tamacom.com/global/global.html#SEC21>
   in GLOBAL tutorial for the details.

2) Patch vim with global vim support.

   In this method, you can use tag stack.
   But supported version of vim is just 6.0o. I cannot maintain this patch
   up to date. So, I recommend above grepprg variable than this method.
   See 'Patch for vim to use GLOBAL' <http://tamacom.com/unix/index.html#vim>
   for the details.

3) Wait for tagprg variable being supported.

   I have sent a request to the author of vim to support 'tagprg' and
   'tagprogonce' variables like Elvis. If it is done, you can use vim
   like elvis. See '5. Elvis using global'
   <ttp://www.tamacom.com/global/global.html#SEC16> for the details.
   My request is already included in TODO list of vim
   <http://www.vim.org/html/todo.html>.

If you have some time, I recommend you to add stack facility to grepprg.
You will be able to use grepprg variable with stack facility as an alternative
for tagprg.

Good luck!
--
Shigio Yamaguchi - Tama Communications Corporation
Mail: address@hidden, (Spare mail: address@hidden)