help-global

global -u : update tags

From: Richard Riley
Subject: global -u : update tags
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 15:13:17 +0200

I am trying to use glbal with emacs and to tage .el,.js and .php.

I have three queries and one suggestion.

Q1) Why does global -u ignore gtags.files? i.e

find . -iname "*.el" > gtags.files
gtags -f gtags.files

*fine*

but ..

then in an emacs save hook I call "global -u" and it takes about 30
seconds as it tags ALL files under my cwd. Why is "update" not
respecting the files already tagged?

Q2) can one only *include* certain wildcard patters via the .globalrc?
(The skip option needs documenting with working examples too : but a
working "only include" is far more useful - I think for sure there is an
option but I dont see it.)

Q3) Global claims to support php, but it wont locate variable
declarations. Is this for a reason or a bug?

Suggestion: gtags-find-tag should default to

    (setq tagname (region-or-word-at-point))

as tags can and do include "-" for examples.

I am new to gtags/global so sorry if any of this is blindingly obvious.

(as an emacs user I would also like to be able to specify directory
specify global config files : possible?)