help-global

Re: The globalrc file,

From: Suresh Govindachar
Subject: Re: The globalrc file,
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2014 17:45:45 -0700

On 6/14/2014 5:03 PM, Tama Communications Corp. wrote:> Hi,
> I have moved to the bug mailing list from the help mailing list,
> since the contents of talk exceeded the range of help mailing list.
>
>> I understand why GTAGSCONF and GTAGSLABEL cannot be specified
>> in the globalrc file;  what's the reason why GTAGSROOT and
>> GTAGSDBPATH are not supported via globalrc file?
>
> It is a reason for implementation.
> Now the algorithm is as follows.
>
> At first, the system recognizes the project directory
> by GTAGS file kr GTAGSROOT environment variable
>
> Next, the system loads one of the following configuration files.
> (1) $GTAGSCONF
> (2) [project root]/gtags.conf
> (3) $HOME/.globalrc
> (4) /etc/gtags.conf
> (5) [sysconfdir]/gtags.conf
>
> Since "(2) [project root]/gtags.conf" has a higher priority
> than "(3) $HOME/.globalrc", we cannot load $HOME/.globalrc
> before deciding the project root directory.
>
> In the contrary, is there a reason to specify GTAGSROOT or
> GTAGSDBPATH in the configuration file?

Sometimes there is a need to explore two projects.  Perhaps
developer is working on one project, and, in the middle, needs to
spend some time to explore another project.  Or perhaps second
project is being used as a reference for work being done on first
project.

When using console vim.exe, I can open two different consoles (via
ConEmu), specify different values for same environment variable,
start vim.exe in each console and explore the two projects.  In
this situation, setting GTAGSROOT and GTAGSDBPATH via
environment only is OK since the two vim.exe have different
environments inside same computer.

However, how can one explore two projects at the same time using
two graphical gvim.exe?  I believe, there is only one environment
when running multiple gvim.exe.  If GTAGSROOT and GTAGSDBPATH
could be specified via .globalrc and if .globalrc file could be
specified via command line argument to global then it would be
possible to explore two projects using two gvim.exes.

--Suresh