[Help-glpk] want to contribute

From: Brady Hunsaker
Subject: [Help-glpk] want to contribute
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 12:45:17 -0400 (EDT)

     I'm interested in helping with the GLPK project.  I'm a grad student
studying optimization (mostly combinatorial optimization) and was looking
for a way to help develop free software for optimization.  GLPK looks like
a great opportunity!
     It would help me, and possibly anyone else who's thinking about
contributing, to get a sense of the long-term goals and short-term needs
of the project.  Perhaps this information is on your website, but the
server has been down when I've tried to check.
     In particular, I'm interested to know:
     - Given the presence of some other free software LP/MIP solvers, like
lp_solve and bonsaiG, what was the motivation for starting GLPK? (I was
attracted just because it's a GNU project, so maybe that's reason enough)
     - What is the current long-term vision for the project?  Improving
current components and/or adding new ones?
     - What would be most helpful in the short-term?

I'm not (yet) an expert in implementation, but I have a sound
understanding of the simplex algorithm and branch-and-cut schemes for
MIPs.  I'm also willing to help with more mundane (but important) details
like documentation, bug-tracking, or installation help.
     Looking forward to getting started,

Brady

Brady Hunsaker
Georgia Institute of Technology
Program in Algorithms, Combinatorics, and Optimization
School of Industrial and Systems Engineering

E-mail address:   address@hidden