Re: [Help-glpk] want to contribute

From: Brady Hunsaker
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] want to contribute
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 17:31:43 -0400 (EDT)

> MIP is one of the most important and interesting things. However, the
> current version of GLPK MIP solver implements the only heuristic (by
> Driebeck and Tomlin) due to that it is not able to solve many MIP
> problems. Therefore if you wish to contribute to GLPK development,
> implementation of advanced branch-and-bound heuristics would be most
> helpful. What d'you think about that? Or you have other ideae? Please
> inform me.

    That sounds good.  I'll start getting familiar with the
branch-and-bound code to see what I can add.  I may also think about
preprocessing.
    What is your preference on consulting other GPL code?  For example,
bonsaiG (GPL) and lp-solve (LGPL) both have branch-and-bound.  In addition
to consulting the literature, I could take a look at what those codes do.
It seems to me that they're resources we might as well take advantage of,
unless there's a reason to build up everything "from scratch".  What do
you think?

Brady