Re: [Help-glpk] Simplex based or interior point based solvers???

From: Paulo J. Matos
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] Simplex based or interior point based solvers???
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 21:24:20 +0100

On 11/07/06, Eduardo Valdivieso <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello,

My name is Eduardo Valdivieso. I am a research student at Purdue University and
I am
new to Linear Programming and the solvers used to find their solutions. I was
wondering
what the difference between Solvers that use Interior point methods to solve
their solutions
and the Solvers that are based on the Simplex algorithm. I know the general
overview of
both
algorithms, and I can guess that it all depends on the type of problem, but is
there a good
overview of the two kinds of solvers that can help assist me with my problem. I
am looking
for a good solver that can assist me with solving 0/1 ILP's on the order of
hundreds to
thousands of variables... We are still in the process of coming up with our
constraint
equations, too. And I am thinking that there will be many of them. That's all I
can describe
for now. Thanks for your help.

Have you ever heard about PBO (Pseudo Boolean Optimization)? You don't
need to use a full blown ILP solver like GLPK or CPLEX for that. PBO
solver are optimized for 0-1 ILP problems and are much faster. If this
is what you want to pursue, you might contact me directly and I'll
give you the contact of the PBO expert in our research group. He might
be able to help you if you want.

Cheers,

Paulo Matos