Re: [Help-glpk] [Fwd: PyGLPK or python-glpk]

From: Kevin Hunter
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] [Fwd: PyGLPK or python-glpk]
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 17:00:23 -0500

At 1:26pm -0500 Sat, 22 Jan 2011, Robbie Morrison wrote:
The GLPK wikibook has a page on python bindings:

   http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/GLPK/Python

Both the projects you mention are discussed there.

I initially went with the one that was easiest for me to install. I use Debian, so

$ sudo apt-get install python-glpk

I saw no mention of PyGLPK in the Debian repositories. Now I'm noting that python-glpk is /only/ available for Debian, and that's a bit of a problem. (I tried compiling it on a Mac and ran into problems.)

Since sending the previous message to this list, I've contacted João, and so far he's stated that he ran into problems getting his code working for both of the major proprietary platforms and was worried about a lot of effort on his part for little gain -- a perfectly reasonable standpoint. However, GLPK Python bindings for multiple platforms is a must for at least 2 of my projects, so his library won't work for me.

I've now given PyGLPK a fair run, trying multiple compilation attempts, but I'm yet unable to get a successful build.

Consequently, I was hoping that other's might have some other suggestions. I see Noli's mention of PyMathProg, so that will be my next attempt. (Thank you, Noli.)

Cheers,

Kevin