Re: [Help-glpk] [Fwd: RE: optimality conditions paragraph (KKT and LP fo

From: Meketon, Marc
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] [Fwd: RE: optimality conditions paragraph (KKT and LP formulations)]
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 07:06:58 -0500

Bob,

The concept of using weak or strong duality is somewhat semantics, so just for
the record let me clean it up a bit.

Weak duality says that if we have primal and dual feasible solutions, and their
objective functions are equal (or, equivalently, complementary slackness is
met), then the solutions are optimal.

Strong duality says that if we have primal and dual feasible and optimal
solutions, then the objective values are equal and equivalently complementary
slackness is met.

The test for optimality uses weak duality - the algorithms (whether they are
simplex or interior-point) check to see if primal feasibility is met, if dual
feasibility is met, and if complementary slackness holds (and in all three
cases, a certain small tolerance is allowed), and if so (using weak duality)
declare they have reached optimality.

However, the fact that this test will always work (whenever primal and dual
solutions exist) is only guaranteed by strong duality.  If strong duality did
not hold, then there could have been a situation in which we had optimal
solutions but the test failed.

-Marc