Re: [Help-glpk] optimality conditions paragraph (KKT and LP formulations

From: Meketon, Marc
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] optimality conditions paragraph (KKT and LP formulations)
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 08:06:15 -0500

Many books call the min c'x, s.t. Ax=b, x>=0 form the "canonical" linear
programming program.  The min c'x s.t. Ax >= b, x>=0 is often called the
"standard" form, because it has more symmetry with the dual (which is max b'y
s.t. A'y<=c, y>=0).  But I've never heard it call the "augmented" form until I
googled it and found it in the wikipedia.

Googling "Canonical linear programming problem" brings up a number of web-sites
that agree with the min c'x, s.t. Ax=b, x>=0 form such as
http://web.williams.edu/go/math/sjmiller/public_html/399/handouts/LinearProgramming.pdf
http://cis.poly.edu/POG/canon.pdf
And some of the textbooks I have at home also use "canonical" in that way.

However, some websites use the min c'x Ax >= b, x >=0 to be the canonical form
http://www.math.ucla.edu/~rfb/164.1.07s/midsol.pdf

And some websites use max c'x s.t. Ax <= b, x >= 0 to be the canonical form
http://www.cs.uiuc.edu/class/fa05/cs473g/lectures/17-lp.pdf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_programming#Standard_form (actually, this
wikipedia article is misleading in that it calls this form the "canonical form"
at the beginning of the article, and the "standard" form a few paragraphs
below, where the only difference is that the standard form has b>=0;)

The wikipedia article is where you probably picked up the "augmented" which,
while in equality form, is really referring to augmenting the Ax<=b formulation
with slack variables.  And it seems (I could be wrong about this) that only the
wikipedia article uses that word.

So, please change "augmented" to either "canonical" (which is my preference) or
"standard" (which is Andrew's preference).