Re: [Help-glpk] optimality conditions paragraph (KKT and LP formulations

From: Robbie Morrison
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] optimality conditions paragraph (KKT and LP formulations)
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 05:08:08 +1200 (NZST)

Hello all

To:         "Meketon, Marc" <address@hidden>
Subject:     RE: [Help-glpk] optimality conditions paragraph (KKT and LP
From:        Andrew Makhorin <address@hidden>
Date:        Thu, 12 May 2011 20:18:04 +0400

>> Many books call the min c'x, s.t. Ax=b, x>=0 form the
>>  "canonical" linear programming program.  The min c'x
>>  s.t. Ax >= b, x>=0 is often called the "standard"
>>  form, because it has more symmetry with the dual
>>  (which is max b'y s.t. A'y<=c, y>=0).  But I've
>>  never heard it call the "augmented" form until I
>>  googled it and found it in the wikipedia.
>
> Neither have I.
>
> [snip: remainder of post]

Okay.  The draft text has now returned to "standard
format" and carries the following footnote:

  "The LP terminology for equation types is
   unfortunately inconsistent.  This expression is also
   referred to as the 'canonical form' and the term
   'standard form' then applies to something else."

  http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Talk:GLPK/Solution_information#cite_note-0

I left the wikipedia link in place -- but I rather
suspect it will break sometime.

Sorry about the excursion into "augmented form".

Robbie
---
Robbie Morrison
PhD student -- policy-oriented energy system simulation
Technical University of Berlin (TU-Berlin), Germany
University email (redirected) : address@hidden
Webmail (preferred)           : address@hidden
[from Webmail client]