Re: [Help-glpk] Suppressing output

From: Robbie Morrison
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] Suppressing output
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 04:52:35 +1200 (NZST)

Hi Joao

To:          address@hidden
From:        Joao Pedro Pedroso <address@hidden>
Date:        Sun, 15 May 2011 14:03:47 +0100 (WEST)

>> From memory, this question comes up occasionally.
>> How about adding the following options set to GLPSOL:
>>
>> Options controlling run-time reporting to standard output:
>>    --debug n         control debug reporting (0 = off, 3 = all)
>>    --showinfo n      control info (0 = off, 1 = omit progress, 2 = all)
>>    --silent          write only errors (--debug 1 --showinfo 0)
>
> The idea of "showinfo" could be further developed, so
> that in the top (most verbose) level, the solution
> itself would also be displayed.
>
> J.Pedro

That is a useful idea.  At the risk of adding
complexity (and I suspect it would) "--showinfo 4"
could duplicate all regular file writes to the
terminal as they occur.

For a work-around (on Linux), try one of these:

  glpsol .. --output "/dev/stdout"
  glpsol .. --output "/dev/stdout" --log everything.log

If you want this feature wrapped in a script,
please see:

  http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/GLPK/Using_GLPSOL#xglpsol_bash_script

Is anyone interested in coding these features?  It
would, I imagine, involve relatively straightforward
command-line interface application programming.  It
seems 'src/glpapi19.c' might be one place to start?
That said, Andrew Makhorin would need to confirm all
this.

best wishes
---
Robbie Morrison
PhD student -- policy-oriented energy system simulation
Technical University of Berlin (TU-Berlin), Germany
University email (redirected) : address@hidden
Webmail (preferred)           : address@hidden
[from Webmail client]