Re: [Help-glpk] binary boolean

From: Michael Hennebry
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] binary boolean
Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 12:33:33 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 4 May 2012, Andrew Makhorin wrote:

Since the conversion from mathematical formulation to constraints is
 systematic , could this be added to marhprog?

No, it is not. There exist infinitely many mip descriptions of the same
integer set. Even z = x OR y can be formulated in infinitely many ways.

All the sensible ones are equivalent.
Even a function from two booleans to the reals will have a simple convex hull.
If full dimensional, the convex hull will be a tetrahedron.
If not, the function is linear.

More booleans would complicate matters.
The convex hull could still be achieved with
2**n additional continuous variables,
though making them binary would still be mathematically correct.
Without additional variables, one might have to sacrifice the convex hull,
but 2**(n+1) constraints would be sufficient
and could be systematically generated.
In this case, different systems might produce inequivalent constraints.

--
Michael   address@hidden
whom I teach not to run with scissors,