Re: [Help-glpk] IRR (Internal Rate of Return) using MathProg

From: Jeffrey Kantor
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] IRR (Internal Rate of Return) using MathProg
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 17:14:05 -0400

If you can get by with a close approximation to the IRR, then there
may be another way to approach this problem. The so-called Dietz
formula is used to estimate returns on a portfolio.  You can derive
the Dietz formula from an expression for NPV by taking the first two
terms in a Taylor series expansion with respect to return r about the
point r = 0, then solving for r.  The Dietz return is the ratio of two
affine terms in the cash flows.  Once you have that, then use a
Charnes-Cooper type transformation to convert this express into a
linear objective for an LP.  The net result is that you could then
include return in the the objective or constraints of your
calculation.

I've not done actually done this but it might be worth exploring. Here
is some background

http://www.shestopaloff.ca/yuri_eng/articles_subject/finance/HIGH_ACCURACY_METHODS_FOR_IRR_Web.pdf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear-fractional_programming