Re: [Help-glpk] IRR (Internal Rate of Return) using MathProg

From: Jeffrey Kantor
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] IRR (Internal Rate of Return) using MathProg
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 19:03:29 -0400

This was intriguing enough that I spent some time trying to get it to
work. Turns my advice wasn't very good after all. IRR is found as the
root to a function that is simply too poorly behaved to yield a
consistently useful linear or linear fractional approximation.  Noli's
data turns out to be a great example where there a significant
convexity confounds any attempt at a linear approximation.  The
citation I provided purports to find approximations good to four
digits. But when stressed, these approximations don't even give sign
much less four digit accuracy.

So please disregard my advice. It was an intriguing thought at the
time but doesn't hold up practice except for the most benign cases.

Jeff

For the data given in Noli's original inquiry, the