Re: Renameing many filenames

From: Roman Suzi
Subject: Re: Renameing many filenames
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 23:38:26 +0400 (MSD)

On Sun, 23 Sep 2001, Florian Sukup wrote:

>Thank you, I think, I will use this feature in the future. But it
>doesn't meet excactly this problem. Each file has to be edited
>individually.
>
>Why do I need this? I produced a lot of pictures with my digital camera
>when I was on holiday. I have to rename them to know what they are
>showing. In this way filenames are becoming very long which I still have
>to edit.
>
>Could there be any other solution?

This is OT.

I am not sure which platform are you using, but there is
little utility called "ren" for UNIX which does what you want:

ren 'DSCN*.JPG' 'myphoto-#1.jpg'

*

Probably, this could be written in Elisp now or
in 2-3 lines of Python code when Pymacs will be stable enough:

    http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~pinard/pymacs/pymacs.tar.gz

Pymacs allows Emacs users to extend Emacs using Python, where they might
have traditionally used Emacs LISP.  Pymacs runs on systems having
sub-processes.

Sincerely yours, Roman Suzi
--
_/ Russia _/ Karelia _/ Petrozavodsk _/ rnd@onego.ru _/
_/ Monday, September 24, 2001 _/ Powered by Linux RedHat 6.2 _/