Re: text in columns

From: Kevin Dziulko
Subject: Re: text in columns
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 08:46:32 -0500

Dave,

Perhaps someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not aware of
a way of having multiple columns using the basic installation of emacs.

Emacs is meant for text processing. Things like fonts and formatting
don't mean as much in unix as they do in windows and mac os. As you
may or may not know, emacs is infinitely extendable and customizable
through a programming language called lisp. There are many "minor
modes" that I am not aware about, which are available from many
sources. Someone has probably written the lisp code that handles
the multi-column task you desire, it's just a matter of finding
it.

I think perhaps the 'windows' you mention are a bit confussing. When
emacs uses windows, what it does is open another "buffer" and display
it on the screen. It is like having more than 1 document open in
ms word. I know when you 'split' emacs into more than one window,
it displays the same buffer/file in each, but they are basicly
seperate. Emacs windows are not a way of splitting up one document
into sections.

Kevin