Re: Problems with backup-by-copying and auto-compression-mode

From: arthur.chereau
Subject: Re: Problems with backup-by-copying and auto-compression-mode
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 14:25:52 +0200

> > I still have a problem with (setq backup-by-copying t) only working
> > for root, not for other users. I tried setting
> > backup-by-copying-when-mismatch but it didn't helped.
>
> Hm.  Can you reproduce this with "emacs -q -no-site-file", then
> setting the variable manually?

Yes. I've noticed a very strange thing: with (setq backup-by-copying t) and
when opening a file as a non-root user, the inode of the *backup* file is
preserved, but not the inode of the main file:

$ cat .emacs
(setq backup-by-copying t)
$ emacs test
$ cat test
version 1
$ ls -i test*
1505188 test
$ emacs test
$ cat test
version 2
$ ls -i test*
1505190 test  1505189 test~
$ emacs test
$ cat test
version 3
$ ls -i test*
1505192 test  1505189 test~

Avec Voila Mail, consultez vos e-mails sur votre mobile Wap.