Automatic decrypt/encrypt of *.pgp files?

From: Norman Walsh
Subject: Automatic decrypt/encrypt of *.pgp files?
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 09:15:19 -0400

Hello world,

I can't imagine that I'm the only person that would like it if Emacs
could automatically decrypt *.pgp files when I load them, allow me to
edit, and then automatically encrypt them when I save.

I also can't believe that it isn't possible. It looks like some
combination of format-alist and gpg ought to make it possible.

I even thought gpg.el might provide the hooks I need.

But format-alist seems to want to identify the format based on a
regexp, and that's not going to work for encrypted binaries.

Google returns a sea of mailcrypt- and vm-related messages, so maybe
the answer is out there and I just missed it.

Help, please?

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--