Re: Emacs configuration

From: Evgeny Roubinchtein
Subject: Re: Emacs configuration
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 06:04:01 GMT

    AC> - Is it possible to change the menu ordering, for instance
    AC>   moving Buffers before Files ?

You could do that by surgery on the keymap which is the value of the
[menu-bar] entry in the global-map, but that's _really_ ugly,
something like:

(let ((lst (lookup-key global-map [menu-bar]))
            (prev nil)
            buf-menu
            current)
        (while lst
          (setq current (car lst))
          (when (and (listp current) (eq (car current) 'buffer))
            (setcdr prev (cdr lst))
            (setq buf-menu current))
          (setq prev lst
                  lst (cdr lst)))
        (define-key global-map [menu-bar buffer] buf-menu))

Can anyone think of a less ugly alternative?

    AC>  Is there any means of having only one emacs process running
    AC>  for all the emacs windows? I mean, not like emacsclient or
    AC>  gnuserv, but when one calls emacs from the command line,
    AC>  having emacs spawn a new window like C-x 5 2 but no new
    AC>  process (to speed up the start).

You would need the emacs process that's already running to run a
server of _some_ kind: otherwise, how would it know to open a new
window?  To the best of my knowledge, the only standard servers that
come with Emacs are emacsserv and gnuserv.  You could conceivably hack
emacs to react to SIGUSR1, or somesuch, by opening a new window.  I
have no idea how hard/easy it would be.