Re: Emacs configuration

From: arthur.chereau
Subject: Re: Emacs configuration
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 15:04:12 +0200

Hi,

Thanks for your answers !

> I don't know the command `a2ps-buffer' -- do you mean `ps-print-buffer'?

a2ps-buffer is from a2ps-print.el. It makes emacs print through a2ps.
You can find it at ftp://ftp.cppsig.org/pub/tools/emacs/

> You can change the command from `print-buffer' to `ps-print-buffer' like
> this:

>   (setf (nth 3 (assoc 'print-buffer tool-bar-map)) 'ps-print-buffer)

Unfortunately I get the following error when I try this:
Symbol's function definition is void: setf

In fact I would like to keep the print-buffer and ps-print-buffer commands, but
to attach a2ps-buffer to the printer icon.

> > - How is it possible to force emacs to confirm when killing the
> >  *scratch* buffer ?

> (save-excursion
>   (set-buffer "*scratch*")
>   (make-local-variable 'kill-buffer-query-functions)
>   (setq kill-buffer-query-functions
>         (list (lambda ()
>                 (if (buffer-modified-p)
>                     (y-or-n-p "Really kill buffer? ")
>                   t)))))

Unfortunately this doesn't work either. When I just call
$ emacs
then type in and C-x C-c, emacs dies without prompting to save the buffer.

I use emacs 21.2 and I've changed
(setq default-major-mode 'text-mode)
(setq initial-major-mode 'text-mode)

but when I use a minimal .emacs only containing your code it's the same, so I
don't understand why it doesn't work.

Maybe it's possible to automatically kill the *scratch* buffer when emacs
starts and replace it with something like a "_scratch_" buffer that would be a
normal text buffer ("_scratch_" being a default name used when emacs is called
without an argument). But I've read that killing the *scratch* buffer may be
dangereous, so I don't know...

> You can set `user-init-file' in your site-start.el file to tell Emacs
> where to look for .emacs.

I've tried to use site-start.el but I think I'm missing something:

First, I'm sure site-start.el is read by emacs (seen with strace and if
something is wrong in site-start.el emacs complains)

I had these lines in my .emacs:
(setq my-emacsdir (expand-file-name "~/.emacs.d"))
(setq recentf-save-file (concat my-emacsdir "recentf"))
(setq save-place-file (concat my-emacsdir "places"))
When I put them in site-start.el they have no effect.

I tried to put some variants of
(setq user-init-file ".emacs.d/.emacs")
in site-start.el, but it didn't work, maybe for the same reason the previous
setq had no effect.

What I would like to do is to change
- the ~/.emacs.d/ directory into ~/.emacs/
- the .emacs location to ~/.emacs/
- the .emacs name into emacs.el
so that everything would be in ~/.emacs/ and the init file would be
~/.emacs/emacs.el

I don't know if emacs can do that.