Re: (Slightly Off-Topic) Emacs-like Office App

From: Todd Wylie
Subject: Re: (Slightly Off-Topic) Emacs-like Office App
Date: 31 Oct 2002 10:42:41 -0600

bobstopper@australispro.com.au writes:

I, for one, would love to see an application that merged the WYSIWYG features
of a word processor with the underlying power of Emacs. This may start the old
"Emacs is a text processor not a word processor" debate... but there are times
when I want a straight ahead editor (programming) and other times I want to
view text in a word processor (I'm writing a book right now). Trying to get
Emacs to show text in manuscript format is a pain in the butt (double-spacing
lines without hard returns, specific margins, headers and footers with page
numbers, etc.). However, no word processor I have ever found matches the power
and scope of Emacs (try running a regex search in MS Word). I really do wish
someone would merge the two concepts someday.
If anyone responds directly to you about such a package existing -- please let
me know.

Thanks-
TODD