Re: strange behavior with multi-buffer Lisp code

From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: strange behavior with multi-buffer Lisp code
Date: 18 Nov 2002 17:36:26 -0500

> How does one programatically, peristently, and reliably (independently
> of variables such as window configuration) change the value of point
> in a non-current buffer?

As I said, there is no such thing as THE value of point.  Instead,
there's a different value for every buffer+window pair (and this is
mostly independent from which buffer is displayed in which window.
I.e. a buffer that's not displayed anywhere still has a value of point for
each and every window).

I think what you want in your case is to look for a window displaying
this buffer, select that window, do `goto-char'.  This way, you'll
change the value of point for this buffer+window combination.  If the buffer
is displayed in several windows, you might want to move `point' in each
one of them, or to just choose one and change it only in that one.

        Stefan