Re: (Newbie) How to turn AutoFill-mode on/off

From: Benjamin Lewis
Subject: Re: (Newbie) How to turn AutoFill-mode on/off
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 13:33:32 -0800

On Sun, 24 Nov 2002, ken@cleveland.lug.net wrote:

> Years ago I gave LaTeX a fair try-- much more than a half hour-- and
> came away from it quite unsatisfied.  To my way of thinking, html is
> more intuitive and much easier to write in as well as to read.

Well, like with emacs, it may take longer to learn at first but it will
save you time in the long run.  Your documents will also look nicer.

I find LaTeX files at least as easy to read as HTML, especially if you let
AUC-TeX handle your formatting for you.

> Moreover, html is the lingua franca of the web and docs so formatted
> drop into it without modification and without need for a plug-in;
> correct me if I'm mistaken, but LaTex docs don't.
>
> Of course LaTeX has its place.  If I were involved in high-end
> typesetting, I'd definitely revisit it.  But its not the only tool
> available for formatting documents and not necessarily always the best
> for every job.

I even use LaTeX for short overviews now, just as I edit even simple text
files with emacs.

It's all a matter of preference of course, but probably using LaTeX for
only hours is not long enough to really start appreciating it.

--
Benjamin Lewis

Give yourself a chance to enjoy cycling and making it
part of your life.  -- jon isaacs, on rec.bicycles.misc