Re: any Emacs features to help keep code/comments under 80 columns width

From: lawrence mitchell
Subject: Re: any Emacs features to help keep code/comments under 80 columns width?
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 23:48:41 +0000

seberino@spawar.navy.mil wrote:

> I often write comments and code and look at modeline's Column# display
> to verify I did not go beyond the 80th column when I type.

> Are there any goodies in Emacs to help me accomplish this???

> Maybe....

> 1. Emacs flashes the screen when I reach column 80

> 2. Emacs automatically adds a hard return and moves me to next line
>    when I reach column 80.

You could use `auto-fill-mode'[1] which automatically wraps text
once it reaches a certain column (specified by the variable
`fill-column').  Alternately, if you merely want a visual
indication of whether you've typed beyond a certain column, take
a look at vvb-mode <URL:
http://www.geocities.com/gchen275/xemacs/>.  If you're using it
with Emacs (as opposed to XEmacs), you'll have to
(require 'lucid) first.

[1]  Enabled by typing M-x auto-fill-mode RET

--
lawrence mitchell <wence@gmx.li>