Re: reading the C source of Emacs

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: reading the C source of Emacs
Date: 12 Jan 2003 23:16:07 +0100

Oliver Scholz <alkibiades@gmx.de> writes:

> kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
> > Oliver Scholz <alkibiades@gmx.de> writes:
> >
> >> Hmm, I haven't thought of that. But it could be an idea. Many of my
> >> wishes are far above my head at the moment, but maybe I could find or
> >> invent something which is sufficently limited to play a bit with it
> >> and to get a feeling for it. Thanks you.
> >
> > I don't understand that "above your head" part.  Previously, you
> > wanted to grok all of the C code.  Now you say grokking only a small
> > bit to implement something is too difficult.
>
> Actually I mainly wanted to unterstand the display/redisplay part,
> which is not such a small bit.

Nobody understands that, not even Gerd, and he wrote it.  Go for it:
I have a feeling that the areas you might be interested in could be
those that I want to see improvement.

I can give you a lot of suggestions for image support (which is
abysmally slow, actually), but I am afraid that they would require an
understanding of what is efficient and inefficient...  and that is
probably not some basic knowledge easily come by.