Re: starting Emacs 21 in a terminal

From: Klaus Berndl
Subject: Re: starting Emacs 21 in a terminal
Date: 04 Feb 2003 09:07:27 +0100

On Mon, 03 Feb 2003, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> > From: Klaus Berndl <klaus.berndl@sdm.de>
> > Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> > Date: 03 Feb 2003 09:26:40 +0100
> >
> > I'm using NTEmacs 21.1 and cygwin-bash plus cygwin rxvt (a
> > xterm-emulation).
> >
> > If i call on the command-line "emacs -nw" to start Emacs with no-windows
> > then i always get the error: "emacs: standard input is not a tty" and
> > Emacs doesn't start.
> >
> > What can be the problem...
>
>  I suspect that the problem is some kind of incompatibility between
>  the Cygwin-compiled Bash/rxvt and NTEmacs: the way rxvt works is by
>  opening a pipe to the program(s) it runs, and it sounds like the pipe
>  it opens doesn't look as a tty to NTEmacs.
>
> > XEmacs starts fine with "xemacs -nw"...
>
>  Is that a Cygwin-compiled XEmacs, per chance?

Yes, indeed.

>  Anyway, this sort of thing should be reported to gnu.emacs.bug, not
>  here.

Yes, you are right, but i was not sure if this is a bug and our explanation
tells me that this behavior can be a bug but can also be not a bug cause of
trying to run NTEmacs in a cygwin compiled terminal-program.

But next time i will report to gnu.emacs.bug....

Thanks,
Klaus

--
Klaus Berndl                    mailto: klaus.berndl@sdm.de