Re: Using emacs in slackware

From: Bijan Soleymani
Subject: Re: Using emacs in slackware
Date: 06 Feb 2003 21:17:24 -0500

Steve Quezadas <steveeq2@tripperjones.com> writes:

> Hsa anyone ever used console emacs in Slackware? For whatever reason, the
> "alt" key works in some scenarios, but not others. For example "alt-x"
> works, but "alt-shift-%" or "alt-shift->" doesn't work.
>
> Anyone know what's wrong?
>
> - Steve
Those things won't wash in the console. Console is ASCII. In ASCII
alt(meta) and control characters only exist in one case, so they can't
be shifted. This is all very annoying unless you have a real ASCII
serial terminal (like me) connected to your computer. But nobody ever
bothered to do anything about this (probably for backwards compatibilities
sake).

Bijan