Re: Writing to an open buffer from shell?

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Writing to an open buffer from shell?
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 07:31:47 +0100

Peter Neumann <rast24@lycos.com> writes:

> Whenever I start my Windowmanager I start Emacs useing it during the
> day for all kinds of work. Aside of codeing I write down my notes and
> memos in a special (today calles)buffer. As I am collecting all kinds
> of text
> in this buffer, I would like to have it filled and accessible from
> "everywhere".

In the CVS version of Emacs, emacsclient supports the --eval argument
which allows you to eval arbitrary Lisp code, including, say

    (save-excursion
      (set-buffer "memo")
      (goto-char (point-max))
      (insert "SOME TEXT GOES HERE\n"))

There is also the gnuserv package which contains the gnudoit program
which can do the same.
--
A turnip curses Elvis