Re: minimal system requirements

From: gebser
Subject: Re: minimal system requirements
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 08:27:17 -0500 (EST)

Karl Eklund at 18:55 (UTC+0100) on 10 Feb 2003 said:

= kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:
=
= > Cyprian Laskowski <swagbelly@yahoo.com> writes:
= >
= > > I will be moving to Japan for a while and my friend has an old laptop
= > > which he's offered to give me with the following basic specs: Pentium
= > > 75, 24 MB RAM, and 540 MB harddrive.
= > >
= > > I'd like to install a debian linux system on it with X, and pretty
= > > much nothing else (although it would also be great to have LaTeX and
= > > ghostscript, but I think that's pushing it).
= >
= > I think the X11 will be the big problem.  Hm.  24MB of RAM.  That's
= > really really small.
=
= I don't mean to argue for the sake of arguing now, but we run X,
= Windowmaker and Emacs on a 24 MB laptop (which has a slightly faster
= CPU than the one mentioned, though - 150 or something). It works (to
= actually work on, I mean).

It's not a question of *whether* it will work, but rather of the quality
of the performance.

ken