Re: What's a better regexp for 'sentence-end' variable??

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: What's a better regexp for 'sentence-end' variable??
Date: 21 Feb 2003 20:09:45 +0100

gebser@ameritech.net writes:

> Oliver Scholz at 12:35 (UTC+0100) on Thu, 20 Feb 2003 said:
>
> = It is in general a bad idea to modify the Elisp sources, because it is
> = absolutely unnessary, but may lead to trouble. The place to change
> = anything on the Lisp level is your .emacs. Even if it would be
> = absolutely necessary to change a function's definition (it almost
> = never is), you would be better off to copy it into your .emacs and
> = change it there.
>
> You're right.  But it's the hacker in me that likes to just go in
> and change things...

That's not a hacker, that's a fool.  Everything will break on the next
upgrade.  One does not customize in that manner.  While the true
hacker _will_ just go in and change things (but not to customize, but
rather to fix and augment them, or to add customizability), he will
afterwards commit his changes to the CVS archive.  That way he does
not need to apply all his work again when he is installing a new
version of Emacs, or installing for a friend of his from the net.

> why gnu and linux stuff is so cool.

Because you can have things break all over the place and keep your
fixes for yourself?  No, that wasn't it.

> I've been doing this for years and it seems to work for me most of
> the time.

Have you thought about taking up Russian Roulette as a hobby?