Re: Hiding references when editing LaTeX?

From: Oliver Scholz
Subject: Re: Hiding references when editing LaTeX?
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 18:01:48 +0100

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

[...]
> OTOH, it would offer quite numerous possibilities to mark things up
> in the Emacs buffer that are hard to parse correctly otherwise. For
> example, if you take the source code of packages like verbatim.sty,
> it is almost impossible with all the catcode changes and whatever
> going on to let Emacs correctly determine just what is to be font
> locked as verbatim and what not. Using preview-latex would make
> getting the correct information easy.

Unfortunately I am rather a dummy when it comes to LaTeX, so
personally I would rather not go down that path.

>> [What do you mean by "invisible font"?]
>
> Text property 'invisible would probably be sufficient.  I am not sure
> if font-lock-mode can only select particular faces (in which case one
> would use something like invisible-face) or arbitrary text properties.

AFAIK you can't put arbitrary text properties on the text out of the
box. But font-lock can execute arbitrary code when it finds a
match. This could be used to do this. It could also put appropriate
functions on the `point-entered' and `point-left' properties to
implement the auto-reveal/auto-hide stuff.

Should this be implemented as a minor mode?

    Oliver
--
9 Ventôse an 211 de la Révolution
Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!