menu-bar-update-hook performance problems

From: Dan Debertin
Subject: menu-bar-update-hook performance problems
Date: 03 Mar 2003 12:04:12 -0600

One of the extensions in my .emacs is causing performance problems,
but I'm having trouble figuring out which one it is. From everything
elp.el is telling me, menu-bar-update-hook is being called *way* too
many times a second, but I can't seem to find a way to tell what's
causing it to be called. One of these bits of information would get
me most of the way there:

o Under exactly what circumstances menu-bar-update-hook is called. A
    usenet search shows that some think it gets called too frequently,
    but I can't find any information in the elisp manual about it
    apart from "This normal hook is run whenever the user clicks on
    the menu bar, before displaying a submenu". I'm definitely not
    clicking on the menu-bar several times a second; in fact I'm not
    touching it at all.

o How to instrument built-in functions for Edebug, so I can get a
    backtrace and figure out what's calling
    (run-hooks 'menu-bar-update-hook). The documentation says that
    you have to re-evaluate the defun with C-u C-M-x, but I obviously
    can't do that with built-ins. Right?

TIA,

Dan
--