Re: New Emacs with GTK!

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: New Emacs with GTK!
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 18:21:16 +0200

Sven Utcke <utcke+news@informatik.uni-hamburg.de> writes:

> Oh dear.  I didn't know there where any scrollbars out there (except
> in MS-land, that is) which did _not_ implement this very usefull
> behaviour.

Heh :-)

FWIW, the newest innovation in scrollbar land that I can remember at
the moment is to cluster the up and down arrows.  You know, normally a
scrollbar looks like this:

^

...lots of lines omitted...

And you click on the little "v" at the bottom and hold down the mouse
button and whoops! you have scrolled too far.  Then you get to run
the mouse from the very bottom of the screen to near the top of the
screen, have to hit the little "^" to scroll back a couple of lines.

Now, the innovation consists of making the scrollbar look like this:

^

...deleted lines...

^

That way, you don't have to travel so far from "v" to (the bottom) "^".

Isn't innovation wonderful?

I still have fond memories of the OpenLook (OpenWindows? XView?)
scrollbar.  There the thumb had three fields, the middle one for
dragging, the top and bottom for scrolling linewise.  And you could
click above or below the thumb/slider to scroll pagewise.

And you didn't have to move your mouse after clicking any of these!
The mouse pointer was warped to the right spot so you could keep on
clicking!  Bliss!

(It's not as nice as the Xaw scrollbar, but the Xaw scrollbar really
wants three mouse buttons, so the OpenLook thing might be good for
Macintoshes :-)