Re: upgrade

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: upgrade
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 21:20:32 +0200

"Ivan Danicic" <ivand@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:

> Hello, I'd like to upgrade emacs 21.1 to 21.3 or 21.4. I've tried to
> download these but in each case something was wrong with 'configure'. It
> can't find something or other.Anyway I've now got emacs-21.3.tar.gz. Is
> there an easy way to use this for my linux suse 8.0? Any comments gratefully
> received.

For compiling software, you often need additional packages, that are
not required for just running it.  (That's because the distributors
often factor out the development support into extra packages.)

For example, if "./configure" is complaining about a missing libjpeg,
you might be successfull by installing the jpeg-dev package.  (I have
no idea what they might be called on SuSE.)