Re: NT Emacs Latin & cyrillic script

From: Benjamin Riefenstahl
Subject: Re: NT Emacs Latin & cyrillic script
Date: 10 Apr 2003 22:19:29 +0200

Hi Ulrich,

"Ulrich Dirr" <ud@art-satz.de> writes:
> I've downloaded a precompiled version of 21.2 and installed it.
> Everything is working well, even auctex (on Win2k).
>
> But I would like to input and display latin and cyrillic scripts
> simultaneously. I've read a lot of docs but now I'm more confused than
> before.
>
> [...]
>
> Does the language/keyboard support which I've activated in Win2k help?
> Or is this independent of emacs?

It helps, but it is independent of Emacs.  Because Emacs doesn't (yet)
use Unicode input, in addition to tell the OS to *send* cyrillic
keyboard input, you need to tell Emacs to switch *interpreting*
keyboard input in cyrillic.

So first you use set-keyboard-coding-system (C-x RET k) to switch
Emacs to cyrillic, than you use the languages menu on the taskbar (or
a Windows keyboard shortcut, if you have assigned one) to switch the
OS.  You do it the other way around to switch out of cyrillic.

One problem is that 21.2 doesn't have the appropriate coding system
for cyrillic on Windows (cp1251) [*] which you need as a parameter for
set-keyboard-coding-system.  You can get it from Emacs CVS
(lisp/international/code-pages.el) but last I tried that version with
Emacs 21.2 it required some support files and tweaking.  Mail me for
details if you want to pursue this and you can't get it to work.

  [*] Somebody please correct me if I am wrong.  And no, cp1251
  doesn't seem to be compatible with iso8859-5.

An alternative would of course be to get Emacs from CVS and compile it
yourself, if you can do that.

> It should be possible to input cyrillic easily with my keyboard. It
> should display correctly as cyrillic, and it should be possible to
> TeX it (say T2A encoding). And I want to be able to switch to latin
> back.

I don't know about TeX specific issues.

Hope this helps, benny