RE: NT Emacs Latin & cyrillic script

From: Dmitri . Minaev
Subject: RE: NT Emacs Latin & cyrillic script
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 15:08:46 +0400

Hello, Ulrich,

I'd dare to say that the optimal way is to use Emacs/MULE and switch
keyboard layout with MULE, not with the system tools. It lets you type texts
in different character encodings -- 'cyrillic-alternativnyj' (cp866, MS-DOS
Cyrillic), 'cyrillic-koi8' (U*IX Cyrillic) or 'cp1251' (Windows Cyrillic).
To enable cp1251 support, add to .emacs:

   (codepage-setup 1251)
   (define-coding-system-alias 'windows-1251 'cp1251)
   (set-selection-coding-system 'cp1251)

As for the fonts, probably, you could find GNU intlfonts useful (see
http://www.gnu.org/directory/intlfonts.html ).

In LaTeX, you are supposed to use Babel to enable Cyrillic letters in your
document. Here's a typical preamble of a Russian LaTeX document:

\usepackage[cp1251]{inputenc}
\usepackage[T2A]{fontenc}
\usepackage[english,russian]{babel}

Note that in the first line you can use other encodings, like koi8-r or
cp866 to indicate the encoding you used to type the source file.

--
With best regards,
Dmitri Minaev