Re: Problem with the signature in 21.3

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Problem with the signature in 21.3
Date: 30 Apr 2003 16:42:45 +0200

Peter Wu <peterw@hotmail.com> writes:

>   Kai> Peter Wu <peterw@hotmail.com> writes:
>   >> Installed 0.19 and the problem persists.... :(
>
>   Kai> Very weird.  Hm.  Is there a beep or anything that might indicate
>   Kai> an error message?
>
> Still not working well with the signature.
>
> Last time it worked but it fails this time. I don't know what's happened.
>
>   Kai> What are the values of the variables message-signature and
>
> message-signature's value is
> (lambda nil
>   (shell-command-to-string "$HOME/.signature"))
>
> Documentation:
> *String to be inserted at the end of the message buffer.
> If t, the `message-signature-file' file will be inserted instead.
> If a function, the result from the function will be used instead.
> If a form, the result from the form will be used instead.

Uh, you know what "shell-command-to-string" does?  This means that
the shell will run the command
$HOME/.signature
and the output of running this command (which needs to be an
executable, then) will then be the signature that gets inserted into
your message.

I somehow doubt that $HOME/.signature _is_ an executable command for
you.