Re: Oldest running Emacs version

From: Jesper Harder
Subject: Re: Oldest running Emacs version
Date: Sun, 04 May 2003 03:51:05 +0200

Karl Eichwalder <keichwa@gmx.net> writes:

> Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> writes:
>
>> Yeah, but the interesting thing is that both of them feel very
>> familiar -- I think anyone who's used to a modern Emacs would have few
>> problems using the old versions.
>
> I guess you never watched new Emacs users?  They heavily rely on the
> menu system!

But those are minor details.  You login to an ITS or TOPS-20 box, and
it's a strange and unfamiliar place.  You stumble along, you don't
know the vernacular, you can't move a file or order a beer.

But then you see this familiar building, type emacs -- and it's almost
like home.  The usual key bindings do what you expect them to, there's
paren matching, you can split windows with `C-x 2' and there's even
Dired.  Now, wouldn't it be ungrateful to complain about missing
menues :-?

Next, all you need is to discover that they both have Lisps (Maclisp
and Interlisp, repectively), and you could actually start using them
for something interesting.

That's not so bad for an ancient operating system you've never used
before.