Is Emacs on Aqua crippleware or is it just broken?

From: BK
Subject: Is Emacs on Aqua crippleware or is it just broken?
Date: 4 May 2003 23:00:17 -0700

I tried several builds of Aqua versions of Emacs on OSX and all of
them exhibit severe symptoms of crippleware. I would like to know if
those are supposed to work or are they just bugs.

1) No Drag and Drop - files

On a Mac you can just drag a file icon with the mouse onto an
application icon and the application will open the file.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work with Emacs, or so it would seem. Bug or
feature?

2) No Drag and Drop - text snippets

On a Mac you can just drag a snippet of text with the mouse from one
application and drag it directly into another application.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work with Emacs, or so it would seem. Bug or
feature?

3) Systemwide Clipboard - cut and paste

On a Mac you can cut or copy a text snippet to the clipboard while in
one application and then paste it back while in another application.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work with Emacs, or so it would seem. Bug or
feature?

4) HIG violations - quitting

On a Mac, all applications *must* quit when "Quit" is selected in the
applications main menu (the one that carries its name). Further,
applications *must* quit when the user choses "Quit" from the menu in
the application's dock item. Finally, Cmd-Q is the designated keyboard
shortcut for quitting.

Unfortunately, none of this works with Emacs, or so it would seem. Bug
or feature?

5) HIG violations - paste

On a Mac, cut/copy/paste is Cmd-x/c/v. Emacs doesn't adhere to this,
but in principle, this can be changed back to normal by defining
keyboard macros.

Unfortunately, "Paste", which is now Ctrl-y doesn't work at all,
neither from the keyboard nor from the Menu. Bug or feature?

6) Emacs keyboard shortcuts

Most of the Emacs keyboard shortcuts don't work. Bug or feature?

7) User Preferences - Fonts

On just about every Mac application, you can set your preferred font
and size. It seems Emacs doesn't allow one to do that. How do you
change the font/size?

Bug or feature?

Note: These shortcomings were observed in Aqua versions of Emacs, they
may not apply to Xemacs and they may not apply to the commanline
version at /usr/bin/emacs. My questions are therefore directed
specifically at Aqua Emacs.

tia
rgds
bk