Large File Support Question

From: Luke Hassell
Subject: Large File Support Question
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 16:53:19 -0500 (CDT)

Hello,

Has anyone every opened a large file in emacs compiled as a 64 bit
executable?  By large, I mean 1-2 GB in size.  Personally, I would
never open a 1-2 GB file in a text editor, but I support people who
have a need to do so (EDA tool output).  They often lament that this
must be done in vi.

I have examined the information in the FAQ and in etc/MACHINES and have
had no success opening files larger than 512MB.  My target platform is
Solaris 8, sparc.  Emacs 21.3 compiles and installs perfectly using the
Sun WS Pro compilers, as 64bit executables.

If anyone has had any success opening large files with Emacs, I
would really appreciate some pointers.

Thanks,

Luke

====
Luke Hassell                                Public Key available at:
http://www.keyserver.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x8C85ABD7