Re: Has anyone actually built emacs 21.3 for SOLARIS (sparc)?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Has anyone actually built emacs 21.3 for SOLARIS (sparc)?
Date: 21 May 2003 20:54:18 -0400

>> For that you need to either provide a -R/usr/sfw/lib argument or an
>> LD_RUN_PATH to the C compiler (the C compiler did find the library while
>> compiling,  but the compiler does not assume that the library will be at the
>> same spot when you run the program as when you compile) or set
>> LD_LIBRARY_PATH if you forgot to give the relevant info to the compiler.
>> The -R option is the best choice.
> Any particular reason the -R stuff isn't added for a Solaris build?

I remember discussions about it a long time ago, but didn't know
enough at that time and can't remember what was the conclusion.
It's odd also that the PROBLEMS file only mention LD_LIBRARY_PATH
and LD_RUN_PATH without mentioning the -R arg in LDFLAGS.

I hope somebody who knows more about how `configure' chooses the -L and -R
args could help us at least write a better entry in PROBLEMS.

        Stefan