Re: Slickedit features in Emacs?

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Slickedit features in Emacs?
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 17:31:22 +0200

henrik.jonsson@se.transport.bombardier.com (Henrik Jönsson) writes:

> * Dynamic Tagging. Go to the function declaration etc. I haven't used
> tags that much.

>From my understanding of "dynamic" in this thread, I think it's not
necessary.  I mean, *.o files aren't dynamic, either.  You just
invoke "make" to create new ones that correspond to the changed
source code.  So why not have "make" create the TAGS file, too?

Well, in interpreted languages it's different, because there no "make"
is normally involved.  It's just edit-run.  But you could create a
background job that regenerates the TAGS file every few minutes.  Or
write something that regenerates the TAGS file on saving a buffer.
--
This line is not blank.