Re: emacs 21.3 wants "libXaw3d.so.5"; got Xaw3d-1.5.tar.gz; NOW WHAT?

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: emacs 21.3 wants "libXaw3d.so.5"; got Xaw3d-1.5.tar.gz; NOW WHAT?
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 21:37:49 +0000 (UTC)

In article <84of1uxhwp.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>,
Kai Großjohann <kai.grossjohann@gmx.net> wrote:

>I agree with folks there that you need to add the right -L and -R
>flags to the linker invocation.
>
>I did this some time ago, on Solaris 2.6, by setting $LDFLAGS prior to
>running ./configure.

Thanks, Kai, for the advice.

Now, on that other thread, there has been SO MUCH back-
and-forth about the args, one saying "add this -R xxx"
and the followup saying eg ~~ "no, no, no -- don't do that!
It won't work!" -- please, for me, and for the eventual
writeup that I promised:

(1) exactly what arg for the -L?  (and why)

(2) ditto for the -R.

(3) Something to pre-answer a "no no no!" kind of followup.

(4) (I assume there's more than one way to successfully
build this new Emacs -- or is there essentially only
ONE way?)

(5) What is it that makes this 21.3 (or just 21.x?)
    more difficult, more understanding needed, than
    20.x, 19.x?

THANKS!

David

PS: From the SOLARIS ld-manpage, will having these
 pieces right here make it any easier to answer
 anything?  (Instead of having to go out and grab
 your own man-page and lift out pieces).

     -L path
           Adds  path  to  the  library  search  directories.  ld
           searches for libraries first in any directories speci-
           fied by the -L options and then in the standard direc-
           tories.  This option is useful only if it precedes the
           -l options to which it applies on  the  command  line.
           The  environment  variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH may be used
           to   supplement   the   library   search   path.   See
           LD_LIBRARY_PATH below.

     -R path
           A colon-separated list of directories used to  specify
           library  search  directories to the runtime linker. If
           present and not NULL, it is  recorded  in  the  output
           object file and passed to the runtime linker. Multiple
           instances of this  option  are  concatenated  together
           with each path separated by a colon.

     -l x  Searches a library libx.so or libx.a, the conventional
           names for shared object and archive libraries, respec-
           tively. In dynamic mode, unless the -B  static  option

           is  in effect, ld searches each directory specified in
           the library search path for a libx.so or libx.a  file.
           The directory search stops at the first directory con-
           taining either. ld chooses the file ending in  .so  if
           -lx  expands  to  two  files  with  names  of the form
           libx.so and libx.a. If no libx.so is  found,  then  ld
           accepts  libx.a. In static mode, or when the -B static
           option is in effect, ld selects only the  file  ending
           in  .a.  ld  searches a library when it encounters its
           name, so the placement of -l is significant.

ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
     LD_LIBRARY_PATH
           A list of directories in which to search for libraries
           specified with the -l option. Multiple directories are
           separated by a colon. In the  most  general  case,  it
           will  contain two directory lists separated by a semi-
           colon:

           dirlist1;dirlist2

           If ld is called with any number of occurrences of  -L,
           as in:

           ld ... -Lpath1 ... -Lpathn ...

           then the search path ordering is:

           dirlist1 path1 ... pathn dirlist2 LIBPATH

           When the list of directories does not contain a  semi-
           colon, it is interpreted as dirlist2.

           The LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable also  affects
           the  runtime  linkers  searching for dynamic dependen-
           cies.

           This environment variable can be specified with a  _32
           or  _64  suffix.  This  makes the environment variable
           specific, respectively, to 32-bit or 64-bit  processes
           and overrides any non-suffixed version of the environ-
           ment variable that may be in effect.

     LD_RUN_PATH
           An alternative mechanism for specifying a  runpath  to
           the   link-editor.   See   the   -R  option.  If  both
           LD_RUN_PATH and the -R option are specified, -R super-
           sedes.

FILES

     LIBPATH
           /usr/lib for 32-bit libraries, or /usr/lib/64 for  64-
           bit libraries.

(Of course there's other stuff that I ommitted,
amongst that stuff.)

D.