opening xpdf from emacs

From: Hagen Nieberding
Subject: opening xpdf from emacs
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 07:25:01 +0200

** Confidential **

Hi there,

I'm using emacs to generate pdf documents with pdflatex, on a PC running RedHat
linux. Once I've compiled the document and a pdf-file has been generated, I
would like to view the pdf -file using xpdf.

I changed the .emacs file by adding
  (setq tex-run-command "pdflatex")
and seemed to work fine, since the compilation of the tex file happened without
a hitch.

I searched the archive of this list, but could not find no posting that could
help me. Search of the net using Google got me a document that suggested adding
the following to the .emacs file:
  (setq tex-dvi-view-command "xpdf *")
Unfortunately, I get an error saying that "no .dvi file was found". How do I
change it so that emacs looks for a pdf-file rather than a dvi-file?

The same document also suggested the line
  (setq tex-output-extension ".pdf")
but the emacs manual does not seem to list this as a standard variable.

Guys, a couple of line of code to help me out would be great! Thanks.

Regards
Hagen

Mr. Hagen Nieberding
Alvis OMC