keybcodes in console

From: Pieter Laeremans
Subject: keybcodes in console
Date: 14 Jun 2003 17:10:49 +0200

Hi,

When using emacs in console it doesn't handle al the M- keys good.  My
keyboard is a French azerty type keyboard.  For normal text it's no
problem but when I type the keys M-w emacs interprets it as M-z and
M-a is interpreted as M-q and vice versa.

I know that it 's possible to use the keyboard translation function to
work around this.  But I wonder wheter there 's a more general
solution ?  In X it works fine. And by using the keyboard translation
feature I probably screw the well functioning in X I suppose ?

Any clues ?

Thanks in advance,

Pieter