Re: etags

From: Kevin Dziulko
Subject: Re: etags
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 08:47:28 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> Kevin Dziulko <dziulko@klaatu.canisius.edu> wrote on Tue, 17 Jun 2003
> 08:09:13 -0400 (EDT):
> > Hello
>
> > I am looking for a way to get a list of all user defined #define's in some
> > C code that actually gets used.  I was reading up a little on etags, and I
> > think it might help me with this.  Has anyone done or seen anything close
> > to this?
>
> > Example:
> > #include <stdio.h>
> > #define MSG1 "Hello, world!"
> > #define CONST1 42
>
> > int main ()
> > {
> >     (void) printf("\n%s\n", MSG1);
>
> >     return 0;
> > }
>
> > /////////////////
>
> > Idealy, I would want something to say:
>
> > Line 7: MSG1
>
> grep is your friend.  "man grep" should tell you all you want to know
> about it (and a lot more besides).  (I'm guessing you're on some sort of
> Unix system, by the way.)  A command something like the following will
> give you the information you want:
>
> grep -n "^#define" *.c
>
> You probably won't like the exact form the info takes, so you might want
> to pipe it through a small script (written in something like sed or AWK
> or Python) to massage it into something more readable.
>
> The above command assumes that all your files.c are in the current
> directory.  If they're not, you'll have to "find" them first, then do the
> above.  Spend a few hours reading "man find"; it'll be time very well
> spent.  Then you'll end up writing something like this:
>
> find . -name "*.c" -exec grep -n "^define" \{} \; -print
>
> > Perhaps this isn't the best place to post this. If you know a better
> > place, please let me know.
>
> It isn't really the best place, no.  One of the groups on Unix shell
> commands would have been better.   But what the heck, have a great day.
>
> > Thanks a lot!
> > Kevin

Thanks for your reply, but "grep -n "^#define" *.c" isn't even close to
what I'm looking for.  I don't want a list of #define'ed constants, but
rather #define'ed constants *THAT ACTUALLY GET USED*. That's why in my
example I just wanted "Line 7: MSG1" and nothing about CONST1 to
ever get listed. [also, I only want defines from my local program listed,
and not any of the system library defines]. The cxref command is the
closest to this that I've found thus far.

Which one of the Unix shell groups should I use?  I can't seem to find the
right mailing list.

Thanks again!!
Kevin