Re: Couple Info questions

From: Mike Ballard
Subject: Re: Couple Info questions
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 08:01:25 GMT

On Sat Jul 12, Mike Ballard disturbed my nap when he said:

> On Sat Jul 12, Michael Slass disturbed my nap when he said:
>
> > Mike Ballard <dont_w@nt_spam.org> writes:
> >
> > >I should add that about all I know about elisp is how to spell it and what
> > >setq is for.  So although I offered testing/tinkering help I didn't want
> > >to you to get the idea that I could've done this myself but was too lazy
> > >to do so :->  But I am willing to slug it out if it helps...
> > >

> > Understood.  You seem like a reasonable guy, so I'm sure you
> > understand that the other half of the "I don't know any elisp"
> > contract is "I won't ride your ass to find out how soon, if ever, it
> > will be done."
>
> A priori :->
>
> > BTW - I'm thinking that browse-kill-ring is not quite the interface we
> > want for this, and that something like the output from M-x grep would
> > be better.
> >
> > Opinion?
> >

> I think grep's output is tidier (I use brk r1.1) and mechanically similar
> to what would be most useful in recalling Info nodes.  So I agree (even if
> not for the same reasons)...

It occured to me after posting that we may use Info differently.  I almost
always use kb/arrows for nav and <cr> to select.  I don't use the mouse
(don't even know if it does anything in Info) and I rarely use "g".  Is
what you have in mind something that records any node visited no matter
the means to visit them?

Do you use "g"?  It's the only way I've found to randomly recall past
nodes but it only works if you'd used "g" to visit to begin with.  I see
info.el:Info-goto-node ("g") and var Info-history but I don't know how
Info-history captures nodes visited with "g" (they're not used together in
Info-goto-node; looks like Info-find-node may use it).  Any way, if you
haven't already copped these thought you might want to know...

Mike
--

mike.ballard--at--earthlink.net

  "Play an accordion, go to jail.  It's the law!"